Thursday, January 29, 2009

All is Well

Colton's surgery went off without a hitch today! It was an early morning (Parker and I had to get up at 4:30.... yuck) and we arrived at the hospital by 5:30 where we got checked in and did some waiting. Around 6, we went up to pre-op where they checked his heart rate and oxygen levels, Colton played with some toys, and got his surgery gown and hat on. They took him back to surgery around 7:30, then Parker and I had to play the waiting game. To help pass the time, we went down and got some breakfast and by the time we came back to the waiting room, it was only 20 before the doctor came to get us. Colton has two fistuala's and the doctor said they would do one, and if it went well, the would tackle the second one at the same time. Well, he said the one they did take out was quite large in comparison to Colton's size. He said it was around 3 inches long so he opted to just do one so Colton's body didn't get overwhelmed. The incision looks like it is about a half inch, to an inch long. Colton was really groggy after the operation and just wanted to cuddle which was so nice, seeing as he doesn't really hold still anymore. Parker and I held him the entire time he was in recovery, which was about 2 hours. We were able to go home around 11:30 and Colton took a nice long nap, well all of us took a nice long nap! He is back to his normal self the evening. He is EVERYWHERE! We love him dearly and are so grateful for the wonderful doctors and nurses who took such good care of our little guy!

Because they only did one of the fistula's, Colton will have surgery again in another 2-3 months. Until then...


Here we are bright and early in the waiting room before Colton was admitted.






































Here they are taking Colton's heart rate and oxygen levels in pre-op.






















We had a bit of a wait before they took him back for surgery so the nurse brought in this awesome ExerSaucer. It was pretty cool, it had piano keys under his feet.... he was just like Tom Hanks in the movie Big!

















Showing off for the nurses!






















Dressed and ready for surgery...... that hat didn't stay on long!






















I think he knew something was up.






















That was the nurse carrying him into the operating room.

















We walked into the recovery room and he was sitting on a nurse's lap. He took one look at us and immediately put his arms up wanting us to pick him up. It was so sad!

















Playing with dad in recovery.

















You can see the steri strips on his neck.






















Here is a close up of his neck. That strip running horizontal is about an inch and a half long.... I don't think the incision is quite that long.

















We gave him juice for the first time in recovery. He liked it and I think it was well deserved!


11 comments:

Brandon and Bethany said...

I am so happy things went well!

*so cute btw*

Elk Dresses said...

Yay Colton! Good job to you all. :) He is so so so cute.

Whitney Bennett said...

I can't even imagine how hard that was for you. I am so glad everything went well!

Kim said...

I'm glad everything went so well, and I hope it goes well for the next surgery. He is so cute!
Kim Fairbourn (Parker's cousin)

Lyndsey said...

We had him in our prayers and I am so glad that all went well and that he is back to normal!!! Love you Colton!!

Candace said...

Man, what a crazy experience that must've been! I'm glad you took pictures! Colton will get a kick looking back at those when he's older, I'm sure! I'm SO glad everything went ok for him, and you guys of course!

The Chappells said...

Char I am so glad things went well. He is so stinking cute. I am still yet to meet this rugrat! Hang in there and things will work out great! LOVE YOU!

Katie said...

I am so glad that everything went alright. I can't imagine how hard that would be to let them take your baby to surgery.

Tasha said...

I'm so happy for you that everything went well. I can't imagine how stressful that must have been!

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

What a cutie! What a blessing that everything went so well!! But, seriously, can't they find a blue gown for him?? peach?? I guess that's the least of the concerns:)